EAA AirVenture's Unmatched After-hours Programs - Incredible Lineup Announced
EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. - (June 26, 2007) — EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2007, "The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration," will host an impressive lineup of evening programs at Theater in the Woods, as some of aviation's leading personalities and newsmakers will participate at the event July 23-29.
Among those scheduled to appear are Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell; fighter pilot legends Bob Hoover, Tex Hill and GŁnther Rall; Steve Fossett and Einar Enevoldson, world record-setting pilots of the Perlan Glider; Anousheh Ansari, the world's first female space tourist; Berlin Airlift "Candy Bomber" pilot Gail Halvorsen; the crews of the F-22 Raptor, the SR-71 Blackbird, and the Goodyear blimp; plus a concert by the U.S. Air Force Band, celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Air Force.
"Evening programs at Theater in the Woods have become an integral part of the EAA AirVenture experience," said Tom Poberezny, EAA president and AirVenture chairman. "We're excited about this year's programs, for EAA members, families and all aviation enthusiasts. It looks to be a truly memorable year."
Several award ceremonies are also held at EAA's AirVenture Theater in the Woods. Awards include the Bax Seat Trophy, the August of Flight Award, the Spirit of Flight Award, and the Bill Barber Showmanship award. Other awards include the 2007 National General Aviation Awards and the 2007 Vintage Aircraft and Rotorcraft awards.
Theater in the Woods is an open-air pavilion with a capacity of approximately 3,500 under its large roof and space for more guests around the primary seating area. EAA's Theater in the Woods activities are supported by BOSE. For more information on these events visit www.airventure.org.
EAA AIRVENTURE OSHKOSH is The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration and EAA's yearly membership convention. EAA members receive lowest prices on admission rates. For more information on EAA and its programs, call 1-800-JOIN-EAA (1-800-564-6322) or visit www.eaa.org. EAA AirVenture information is also available through the World Wide Web at www.airventure.org.
Theater in the Woods Highlights 2007
(Schedule is subject to change without notice.)
- Monday, July 23
- Presentation of the Bill Barber Showmanship Award by World Airshow News
- Anousheh Ansari, the world's first female space tourist, talks about her adventures at the International Space Station
- Virgin Galactic/SpaceShipTwo update on space tourism, and meet someone preparing to train for a mission.
- Tuesday, July 24
- EAA President's Awards and the Freedom of Flight Award.
- Laugh it up with Stan Chen, FedEx pilot and aviation comedian.
- SR-71 Blackbird Pilots, Rich Graham, Bill Orcutt and Gen. Pat O'Halloran, describe flight in the legendary supersonic jet.
- Learn about "Flying the Goodyear Blimp" with Ed Ogden and crew.
- Wednesday, July 25
- Debut of the EAA Concert Band, conducted by Elton L. Eisele.
- FAA Administrator Marion Blakey presents the National General Aviation Awards.
- The Candy Bomber, Col. Gail Halvorsen, pilot of the famous C-54 airplane, reunites with one of the kids on the ground from the Berlin Airlift in 1948-49.
- Thursday, July 26
- Maggie Beth Estes provides musical entertainment on the fiddle.
- F-22 Raptor pilots, including Maj. "Max" Moga, describe this modern fighter jet.
- Step back in time with the "AVI8TORS", a USO-style WWII era singing group.
- Friday, July 27
- Presentation of the EAA AirVenture Rotorcraft awards.
- Astronaut Jim Lovell, commander of the Apollo 13 mission.
- Steve Fossett & Einar Enevoldson discuss their world record-setting glider flight into the stratosphere with the Perlan Project.
- Fighter Pilot Legends - Host David Hartman moderates a program featuring Bud Anderson, GŁnther Rall, Tex Hill and Bob Hoover.
- Saturday, July 28
- Presentation of the EAA AirVenture Vintage Aircraft awards
- Performance by the U.S. Air Force Band