Aviation Film Classics Coming to Fly-In Theater During EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2007
Top films starring Spencer Tracy, Jimmy Stewart, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise and others July 22-28 at Fly-In Theater, presented by Ford Motor Company and Eclipse Aviation
EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. - (June 5, 2007) — Some of the greatest aviation films of the past 80 years will be part of the Fly-In Theater at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, presented by Ford Motor Company and Eclipse Aviation, which features movies nightly on July 22-28. The 55th annual EAA fly-in convention takes place July 23-29 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh.
The movies shown at the Fly-In Theater will include dramas, blockbusters and classic early films. Each evening's presentation will begin at 8:30 p.m., weather permitting, with a personality from the worlds of aviation and/or cinema introducing the feature and providing background about the movie and aircraft.
Each night's feature, shown on a screen five stories tall, is free of charge to all EAA AirVenture attendees. Even popcorn is included! Guests should bring a blanket or lawn chair for seating at the natural amphitheater, located adjacent to EAA's Camp Scholler.
"Thanks to Ford and Eclipse, we began the Fly-In Theater last year and discovered it was a superb way to finish a full day of flight - with an aviation movie under the stars at Oshkosh," said Tom Poberezny, EAA president and AirVenture chairman. "We are bringing even more great aviation films to the event this year, many based on suggestions from EAA AirVenture visitors."
Among the films confirmed for the Fly-In Theater are:
- Sunday, July 22: Wings (1927), the first movie to win an Academy Award, a silent classic starring Clara Bow, Richard Arlen and a young Gary Cooper.
- Monday, July 23: Twelve O'Clock High (1949), starring Gregory Peck, Gary Merrill and Dean Jagger.
- Tuesday, July 24: Top Gun (1986), starring Tom Cruise, Kelly McGillis and Val Kilmer. This film was the winner of EAA's online "Greatest Aviation Movie of All Time" poll earlier this year.
- Wednesday, July 25: Spirit of St. Louis (1957), starring Jimmy Stewart and Murray Hamilton.
- Thursday, July 26: Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo (1944), starring Spencer Tracy, Van Johnson and Robert Mitchum.
- Friday, July 27: Apollo 13 (1995), starring Tom Hanks, Kevin Bacon and Bill Paxton. As previously announced, Apollo 13 commander Jim Lovell will introduce the film.
- Saturday, July 28: Flying Tigers (1942), starring John Wayne, John Carroll and Anna Lee.
EAA AIRVENTURE OSHKOSH is The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration and EAA's yearly membership convention. EAA members receive lowest prices on admission rates. For more information on EAA and its programs, call 1-800-JOIN-EAA (1-800-564-6322) or visit www.eaa.org. EAA AirVenture information is also available through the World Wide Web at www.airventure.org.