EAA AirVenture Museum Filled with Special Events, Exhibits During 2006
EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. - (January 24, 2006) — Special events, exhibits and activities are among the spectacular highlights of this year's schedule at the world-class EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, which celebrates its 23rd year of operation in 2006.
Among the feature events in 2006 is a brand new Family Flightfest weekend in March, as well as programs featuring historic aviation figures and unique achievements, and activities that give the chance for visitors to participate in the world of flight. In addition, an amazing new exhibit featuring a full-size replica of SpaceShipOne, the world's first civilian-built spacecraft, will be dedicated during EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2006, The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration, in late July.
Special presentations are also a popular part of the museum's schedule during EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, which will be held July 24-30, 2006.
"The EAA AirVenture Museum is a one-of-a-kind facility in both the Midwest and throughout the aviation world," said Adam Smith, EAA AirVenture Museum Director. "It is a place for learning, discovery and history, a proud home for EAA members worldwide, and a vibrant center of activity within the local community. There's always something new to discover and additional activities to enjoy."
The museum has welcomed approximately 3 million visitors since the Oshkosh facility opened in 1983. Nearly 100 aircraft are on display in the museum year-round, with an additional 40 on display at the facility's Pioneer Airport, which is open May through mid-October.
EAA AIRVENTURE OSHKOSH is The World's Greatest Aviation Celebration and EAA's yearly membership convention. EAA members receive lowest prices on admission rates. For more information on EAA and its programs, call 1-800-JOIN-EAA (1-800-564-6322) or visit www.eaa.org. EAA AirVenture information is also available through the World Wide Web at www.airventure.org.
EAA AIRVENTURE MUSEUM EVENT SCHEDULE - 2006
- March 4-5: Weeks Hangar open house/Open Cockpit Weekend - A rare "insider's look" at EAA's aircraft maintenance facility on 20th Street in Oshkosh, with tours of how EAA maintains its flying fleet. In the museum, several aircraft will have their cockpits opened, allowing visitors a unique look inside.
- March 4: EAA's Hops and Props - An elegant evening fundraiser for EAA's education and preservation programs. Tickets available at www.eaa.org.
- March 18-19 Family Flightfest (NEW) - A full weekend of family activities guaranteed to cure those mid-winter blues. Try your hands at modeling, paper airplanes, aviation art, pedal planes, simulators and more!
- April 5: Skip Holm Presentation - One of the nation's most versatile pilots talks about his experiences in air racing, jet flying and moviemaking.
- April 8: Members-only EAA Archive Tour - The EAA collection has literally thousands of aviation items, and collection curator Ron Twellman will open the vaults to members that day for tours.
- April 20: Animals in Flight Presentation
- April 29-30: Pioneer Airport Opening Weekend - The new flying season opens at Pioneer Airport, with vintage aircraft activities, plus Young Eagles flights.
- May 1-5: School Week - A weeklong series of activities designed especially for young people. Timed to be part of "field trip" season for many schools, these activities are a fun way to discover more about aviation.
- May 6-7: Coupes and Cubs Fly-In at Pioneer Airport
- May 8: Fighter Pilot Forum at The Big Picture in Appleton, Wis. - Watch an amazing large format film and speak to current and past fighter pilots.
- June 10: International Young Eagles Day - EAA's youth aviation education program, which has flown more than 1.2 million kids since 1992, takes center stage at the museum and Wittman Regional Airport.
- June 17-18: Ultralight/Light-Sport Aircraft Weekend - The annual event at Pioneer Airport brings this fun and affordable way to fly to museum visitors. Flying competitions in the afternoon.
- June 17-18: Fathers' Day Promotion - A whole day of fun for dads and their families at the Museum.
- June 24: Wings on Strings Kite Festival - One of man's earliest flying machines is celebrated in this family fun day featuring pro kite fliers, kite-making clinics and lots of room to launch your own kite!
- July 1: Planes, Manes and Automobiles - An exciting day with two legendary vehicles: The P-51 "Mustang" aircraft and the Ford Mustang sports car.
- July 24-30: EAA AirVenture Oshkosh - The world's greatest aviation celebration includes extended museum hours and features many special activities and speakers. Dedication of new SpaceShipOne exhibit is also scheduled during the event.
- August 18-20: Good Ol' Days/Aviation Murder Mystery Dinner - On Aug. 19-20, Vintage aircraft and car demonstrations, send a piece of air mail and play an old-fashioned children's game! Fun for the whole family. On the Aug. 18-19, the popular "Murder Mystery" dinner returns with a brand new "whodunit?" to solve.
- Sept. 9: EAA's Wings and Wheels - An event that combines aircraft and automobiles, with their famous technology and engineering.
- Sept. 22-24: Biplane Fantasy Flight Camp - Become a modern-day barnstormer with a weekend session all about flying biplanes.
- October 6-8: Bell 47 Fantasy Flight Camp - Spend a weekend exploring the history of this unique aircraft made famous on the TV show M.A.S.H.
- October 13-15: Ford Tri-Motor Fantasy Flight Camp - EAA's weekend program gets flight enthusiasts up close and flying in this airplane.
- October 21-22: Fall Color Flights - Enjoy Wisconsin's spectacular fall foliage display from above, in one of EAA's vintage aircraft.
- Oct. 21-22 & 28: EAA's Haunted Hangar - What mysteries does the AirVenture Museum hold after dark? Find out in this fun event suitable for most ages.
- Oct. 28: EAA's Slightly Haunted Hangar - A lights-on, little kid friendly event with candy, games and trick-o-treating. Costumes are encouraged.
- Oct. 27: EAA's Hall of Fame Dinner
- December 1-3: B-17 Fantasy Flight Camp - The experience of a lifetime discovering the inside-and-out of this famed World War II bomber, including flights.
- Dec. 11: Christmas in the Air - For more than 20 years, EAA's annual open house has featured local musical groups, refreshments and a visit from Santa.
- Dec. 15: Wright Brothers Memorial Banquet - Honor the creators of powered flight through this special presentation at the home of recreational aviation.
- Dec. 11-15: EAA School Week - A weeklong celebration of flight with activities especially designed for school groups.
- December 26-30: Kids' Days - The museum's annual family event, with special activities and presentations.